Sunday 21 June 2015

WEEK 21 BUTTERFLIES

ROWS 135-141 

It is important that you do the pattern rows all the same colour so that the  butterflies 'fly' so just change colour for the border rows (135 and 141).
I forgot to put the final trebles of ROW 41 here sorry....This has got to be the hardest most horriblest chart I've ever had to write...I hope it makes sense!

Row 135  ( sea green)

Ch3, tr in every stitch along to end



Row 136 (mauve)

Ch3, treble along in every stitch to end

Row 137 (mauve)

Ok, now the fun starts....at this point you really need to do a STITCH COUNT and get out a calculator as we're going to have to do a little sum in order to get the butterflies spaced out evenly along the row. The main thing to aim for is to have pretty much the same amount of trebles at the beginning and end of your row so that it is symmetrical.

Here is the Maths which was worked out after lots of grumbling and moaning (by me)  with my Friday morning group (thank you ladies, you know who you are!).

I have put my stitch count (which is low I know, naughty me) in brackets to show you how I worked mine out.

So, take your stitch count (208) and divide it by 19 (which is the repeat)

208 ÷ 19 = 10

Now take that number and multiply it by 19
10x19 = 190

Now subtract that number from your original stitch count to get the remainder

208-190 = 18
So I have remainder 18

Now subtract 5 from your remainder (the chains in the repeat not needed for the end)

18-5  = 13

Now divide your answer by 2

13 ÷2 = 6.5


This is the number of trebles you need at the start and end of the first row before the repeat starts...SO, I need to start and end my first row with 6.5 trebles ...! (I'll do 6 at one end and 7 at the other).

I hope you can work yours out...here's an example using a stitch count of 218

218÷19 = 11
11x19 = 209
218-209 = 9
9-5=4
4÷2=2
So you would need 2 trebles at each end on the first row. Although this would mean you'd end up with only 1 treble at each end before the chain spaces start so you might prefer to do the first 14 trebles at the start but you'll just need to make sure they're all spaced out correctly.  Once you get going it will become clear! 


Ok so off we go!

Row 137  I will be working with (my) stitch count so will have a different amount of trebles at the start and end of the row...just stick to your sum.

Ch3, 1 tr in each of the next (5) trebles (or however many you need)..
*ch5, miss 5 stitches, 1 tr in each of next 14 stitches, repeat from * to end finishing with your amount of trebles which should hopefully be the same as at the start.




Row 138 (mauve)

Ch3, 1 treble in each of next  (4) trebles (1 less than in previous row - see photo). Now *Ch 7, miss the whole 5-ch space and the next tr from row below then do 1 tr in each of the next 12 stitches. Repeat from * to end. Use the chart to help you visualise the pattern.



Here's a close up 

Row 139 (mauve)

Ch3 and 1 treble in each of your next (however many) trebles. 
*Ch2, Dtr in between the 3rd and 4th tr of Row 136, (don't do it too tight),  Ch2, 1 tr in each of next 12 trebles below, repeat from * ending with the trebles you have left at the end. 

YO twice, hook in to space between 3rd and 4th treble of first row of mauve..

..YO pull through so 4 loops on hook

Yo through 2, yo through 2 , yo through 2, 1dbtr made, now ch2

then 1 tr in each of the next 12 trebles below



 Row 140 (mauve)

Ch3, 1 treble in each of next trebles that you have, * 3 tr in each of the ch2-space, 1 tr in the top of the dbtr, 3 tr in each of the ch-2 space, 1 treble in each of the next 12 trebles, repeat from * to end.





Row 141 ( sea green)

Ch3, 1 treble in every stitch along

Pretty flutterbies!

I do hope this has been worth all the calculations...I love this one and think it's so effective... it looks fab as a shawl design too -  I have done the Butterfly Prayer Shawl a few times now.





Happy Hooking everyone....only 5 more weeks of rows to go now ...I'M A HOOKER ON THE EDGE!










No comments:

Post a Comment